Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Almost Halloween...

This is as good of a place to start as any for an update on our activities...

Yep, that's a broken pinky.  That broken pinky belongs to Seth.   On October 13th, the boys were tossing a nerf football in the yard with Chris and a bad catch combined with a couple of bad angles, Seth broke his finger.  On a nerf football, for crying out loud!  We, of course, were sweet parents and told him 'Ahhh, you're fine!  Wiggle it, bend it!'  We told him to do multiple things that probably didn't feel very good with a broken finger.  It started to look a little strange, so Chris took him to the emergency room just to rule out a broken finger (which wasn't ruled out).  Seth ended up being a trooper.  He loves attention and got a lot of it in the emergency room.  Chris sent me a few pictures while they were there.

Seth wanted to act sad.
 
This is more like Seth.

He's done really well at school.  His splint isn't holding him back at all even though it's his right hand.  We go for another x-ray in a week.  Hopefully the days of the splint will be numbered.  Frankly, I question the cleanliness of the fingers on that hand.
 I think we've qualified for a frequent flyer pass at the MetroHealth emergency room.

On Friday, I went to the boys' school to help out with the kindergarten pumpkin party.  Noah's class needed more help, so I spent most of my time with him.  I did get to peek in on Seth.

Seth and his class.

Noah was proud of the jack-o-lantern we created.  Before we carved the pumpkin, we got to weigh it, measure the circumference, count the vertical lines and put it in water to see if it would float.  There was one other boy in our group.  I think Noah had fun, even though he wasn't a fan of pumpkin guts.

Noah's friend in our group did a lot of this... A LOT.  Poor little guy.

After the pumpkin activities, it was time to sugar up the kids, so they went back to their class to decorate and snack on cookies.

I snuck into Seth's class.  By then Chris had shown up and the boys were on cloud 9.

I can't make it to their Halloween party tomorrow, but I'm glad I got to hang out with them at their pumpkin party.

Saturday morning, I got up and ran the Alger Heights Halloween 5K with my wonderful friend, Elizabeth.  We were crazy cat ladies!  She had the idea for the costume and I was immediately on board.  During the race, we only lost one curler and one kitty cat, so I consider it a success.  We're already talking about making this race an annual tradition.  We didn't win any costume contest prizes, but there's always next year.

 After the 5K, I met the boys at the zoo for the Zoo Goes Boo.  The boys got to wear costumes, see animals and pick up some swag.  Not a bad day!  They wore last year's knight costumes.  They were hilarious because they kept asking if they could 'pose' and we had to wait until they got in just the right position before we were able to take their picture.  One of these days I'll post their Spiderman poses.  They are pretty funny.

Noah in red, Seth in blue.

The lion was so close to the window!  That rarely happens (at least when I'm there)!

Later that evening, my sweet friend Corinne and I did the Zombie Dash downtown.  It was so much fun!  We died early in the race.  Some of those zombies were fast!  

Monday night the boys participated in their first Hudsonville Schools Turkey Trot.  Each grade had a race and the winner of each race won a turkey.  I was hoping that they would score us a Thanksgiving turkey, but nope.  They had fun anyway.  Those two LOVE to run!

Noah in blue, Seth in red.

Seth was ready for a picture, Noah was too busy charming the ladies.

Last night the boys were allowed to wear their costumes to taekwondo.  No masks, so Darth Vader and the Clone Trooper were not in disguise.  The boys had a lot of fun with it and scored a piece of candy at the end of class.

Seth left, Noah right.
 
Tonight we carved our Halloween pumpkins!  I admit, this is the first year we've let the boys actively participate.  It's really the first year they were interested.  We let them design and draw the faces on the pumpkins.  They did some of the carving and we helped when they needed us to (or we thought things needed to move more quickly).

 Seth on the left, Noah on the right.

I mentioned earlier that Noah was not a fan of the pumpkin guts at his pumpkin party.  He is still not a fan.

At least he tried!  This was Seth's reaction when Chris asked him to scoop out some guts.

He was much happier watching Daddy do the dirty work.

Seth with this 'Vampire Pumpkin' and Noah with his 'Crazy King with Ears'.

Seth & Noahisms:
  • Seth had a MILLION one-liners and stories about his emergency room trip and broken finger.  Here are just a few:
    • 'I can't count to 10!'
    • He was concerned about the important things in life 'How do I go potty?', 'How will I take my sweatshirt off?', 'How will I write?', 'I can't buckle my car seat', 'But I BOWL with this hand!!!'.  
    • He wanted to call me on his way home from the emergency room and trick me.  When I answered the phone he said 'I only have 9 fingers now!  They just cut it off!'.  I laughed.  Noah wanted to talk to him, so Seth decided to tell him the same thing.  Noah did not laugh, he looked horrified.  I quickly told him Seth was joking.
    • After they got home, Chris and I were talking.  Seth was in the room, but we weren't talking to him and didn't think he was listening.  Chris was telling me about the x-ray and how it was funny because Seth was just asking him the other day if he had a skeleton.  At that moment, Seth calls out from across the room in a smart aleck tone 'And now I know!'.
  • Noah was very concerned about Seth when he was at the hospital.  He constantly asked if Seth was going to be O.K. and when they were going to be home.  The next morning, Noah helped Seth put his shirt on and kept reminding him (in a firm tone) to not bend his finger!
  • Chris was watching baseball with the boys.  Seth asked who was behind the plate and Chris told him it was the umpire.  Seth said 'Like in Star Wars??'.  Chris informed him that is the Empire.  The Umpire is in baseball.
  • Noah has been saying '3TPO' or 'T3PO' instead of C3PO.  It sounds much cuter than it looks written here.
  • Seth randomly asked me the other day if I would put bacon in his lunch.
  • It's cute when they apply new words that they learn.  Noah told Chris 'I will defeat you Daddy!  I will pick you up!'.  He will defeat him?
Fingers crossed that the rain holds off for trick-or-treating tomorrow!

-Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment

home study degrees guide
Provided by home study guide.