Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hodgepodge

We have some catching up to do!  It's been a busy couple of weeks...  The weather has been all over the place.  We've been trying to take advantage of our short bursts of warmer weather and then trying to stay warm in the midst of a ton of lake effect snow.

A couple of weeks ago (when the temperature actually hit 58 degrees), we ventured to the nature center to get some fresh air, go for a walk and see the animals.  It was a bit windy, but we weren't deterred.

They have the cutest playhouse.  Seth was pretending to take a nap. 

Noah in red, Seth in blue.

Hugging(?)...

Then they said they wanted a 'kissing' picture.  I have so many of these taken over the last 5 years and plan to use them as blackmail when they get older.  Every graduation or major life event that involves photos of them when they were little will include more than one of these 'kissing' pictures.  Guaranteed.

The boys remembered our last visit and kept asking to see the owl with the broken eye.  He was still there!
 

Chris had surgery two weeks ago on his knee.  Thankfully the surgery went well and Chris' recovery has gone smoothly.  Today...finally...he was released to drive!  He will still be on crutches for another 4 weeks, however, and starts physical therapy tomorrow. 

We are beyond grateful for wonderful friends who helped us immediately after Chris' surgery.  The Barnetts who picked the boys up from school and took care of them the day of Chris' surgery.  The Wallaces who brought us a delicious dinner the night of the surgery.  Our fantastic friends and neighbors, the Parks, who also brought soooo much delicious food and came over on a snowy night and cleared our driveway!  So blessed by these people...

Right before surgery...


All of the local meteorologists were very vocal about their warnings of snow, so the boys and I made sure Chris was comfortable (we drugged him) and then went to the park to burn off some energy before the snow and frigid temperatures made their way to us.

Enjoy some grainy pictures from my phone.

Tons of playground equipment and they choose sticks, of course.

Well, the meteorologists were correct.  So cold and sooo much snow.  I've become friends with our snow blower.  Chris has said that he feels bad that he can't get out to help clear the drive and deck, but really....do you really think he misses it?

Saturday I took the boys to a performance by the Grand Rapids Symphony in their Lollipop series geared toward kids ages 4-7.  The story of Hansel and Gretel was read with music by the symphony and performances by dancers from the Grand Rapids ballet.  The boys loved it!  They talked about each instrument in the symphony.  Seth said his favorite instrument was the trombone and Noah liked the tuba.  We met the Sorensen and Wallace families there, which was an added bonus.

Seth patiently waiting for the start of the performance.  Hey...at least he was quiet!

Noah

And...that's all I got for pictures.

Sunday I took the boys sledding for the first time this winter.  They LOVED it!  They both grabbed sleds and went down the steepest part of the hill before I even got the car doors shut.  I didn't get any good pictures because they were too fast and would not stand still.  Only Noah took a half a second to give me a smile.

Yesterday the temperature made it into the 50s and rained, so all of our snow is gone.  Not for long, though.  They are calling for more lake effect snow the next few days, so it looks like more sledding is in our future.

Seth & Noahisms:

  • The boys were playing in the playroom one morning before I left for work.  I went in to give them hugs and kisses and tell them goodbye.  Seth was sweet and loved on me.  I went to Noah to tell him goodbye and he told me 'I'm sick of giving hugs'.  He has also started says 'That's boring' as an excuse as to why he doesn't want to do what he is told.
  • When talking to the boys about behavior, I asked them what they think good behavior is.  Noah, in a very serious voice, said 'We do not punch people in the face'.  Can't argue with that.
  • As incentive to get the boys out of the playroom, Chris turned off the light in the room by pulling the chain on ceiling fan.  Later, the boys went into the room and were frustrated that they could not get the light on.  They apparently tried everything because Seth came downstairs and said 'I even said abracadabra and it still won't turn on!'.
  • For sound share in pre-K last week, Noah was supposed to bring something that began with the letter J.  We told him that he could just bring himself because he is a Jenkins.  Seth very enthusiastically said 'You can bring me!'.  He was very disappointed when we told him that Noah could not take him to class for sound share.
  • Tonight Noah was drawing pictures of ninjas and I told him that he was the coolest dude.  He responded with 'I'm not the coolest dude when I cry'.  We agree.
-Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment

home study degrees guide
Provided by home study guide.