Sunday, June 16, 2013

Missouri Trip

After the last day of PreK, we didn't waste any time heading to Missouri!  We picked the boys up from school and started our drive.  Everyone in my family has a very busy summer planned, so this was our only window to go there when we would all be able to be together. 

We keep the boys occupied on long car trips with movies, LeapPads and their Magnadoodles.  They like drawing pictures and practicing their letters.  Chris asked them to draw Superman.  This is what they came up with...

Noah was proud that he remembered Superman's 'curly hair'.

We think Seth's Superman was going to use his ears to fly.

My favorite picture was when Noah showed me a blank screen.  I asked him what it was and he said 'The Invisible Man' with a grin.

When we arrived at Dad and Judy's we didn't waste any time going to a couple of parks to burn off some sitting-in-the-car-for-hours energy.

Noah in green, Seth in orange.  The boys had never played on a good ol' fashioned merry-go-round.  We spun them until they were dizzy many times.  Dad and I even got on it and asked Chris to push.  After that, Dad and I decided we were too old for merry-go-rounds.

Last year the boys were too scared to ride the four-wheelers.  This year, they talked for two weeks before the trip about going on four-wheeler rides.  What a difference a year makes!  They loved it...  Dad and Judy spoiled them and gave them rides whenever they wanted.  They also gave them cookies with breakfast and basically anything else they wanted, but I digress...  Lucky little guys!

Papa & Noah

Judy & Seth

This was their preferred method of entering and exiting the garage.

When in Ava, it is required to go to Ava Drug multiple times for nickel scoops of ice cream and dime Cokes.  No, Michigan friends, that is NOT a typo.  You really get a scoop of ice cream for a nickel!  I was a big spender and told everybody that I'd cover the ice cream.  We all had more than enough and I was out 65 cents.  Can't beat that.

Bub, Mindy, Gavynn and Riley came to see us in Ava.  I can't believe we actually got this picture!  It's so good!

These pictures are more like what I'm used to from this crew...

The next day we went to Vera Cruz to freeze swim and catch crawdads (or crawdags as the boys like to call them).

It is incredibly beautiful there.  The roads in that area are hilly and very curvy.  On our way to the creek, we saw a car go around a corner waaaayyy too fast and skid off the road.  Luckily both of the young kids in the car were perfectly fine.  I asked the young girl who was driving what happened and she said 'I think I was going too fast'.  All I could say was 'You think?'.  So glad they were O.K.  That was almost too much excitement.

Noah in white, Seth in red.

The water was freezing.  Gavynn was the first brave one to go in, followed by Bub, then Dad and Chris.  Bub, Dad and Chris all basically talked each other into jumping off a tree branch into the frigid water.  They said it wasn't exactly refreshing.  I took a lot of pictures of them jumping in, but I'm sweet enough to not post any here. 

After the creek, we packed up and headed to Bub & Mindy's.  We got to watch Gavynn try out her new dirt bike.  She has wanted a dirt bike for quite awhile and saved her money to buy one all by herself.  So proud of her!  And...a little freaked out that she's riding a dirt bike!

No one can resist when Riley motions you over.  Little lovebug.

Dad saw me taking pictures of him riding Gavynn's scooter and said 'That's going to go in the blog isn't it?'.  I replied 'Of course!' and stayed true to my word.  You're welcome, Dad. 

Numerous basketball games were played while we were there.  Doesn't Dad look athletic?

Yep, he's all mine.  Don't be jealous of his talents.

Sunday morning we went to Joplin to have breakfast with my amazing friend, Timma.  I was so excited to see her...hence the cheesy grin in the photo.  She is the best.  I miss her so much.

Noah, Seth & Timma

On the way home from Joplin, we spotted a turtle alongside the road.  We decided to get it and take it to Gav and Ri.  It took a giant pee when Chris picked it up, but only peed a little in the car...hazards of picking up stray turtles.  We realized later that it was a water turtle and probably wouldn't do well in the back yard, so the kids looked at it and enjoyed it for a while before Mindy set it free.

I had to snap a picture of this fierce air hockey battle between Papa & Darth Vader (Noah).

I truly lucked out in the sibling department.  My brother and I get along so well...probably because he's the funniest person I know.  We've had several 'Scott & Shelby's Day of Fun' outings.  The first one was a day in New York City.  Our second day of fun was Cedar Point to ride roller coasters.  The third one was skydiving.  Our fourth day of fun was a chartered salmon fishing trip on Lake Michigan.  That was the first time we included others...Gavynn and Chris got to come with us that time!  Whoever plans the day of fun is required to get t-shirts.  We hadn't had a day of fun since before the boys were born, so Bub decided that it was time.  He chose scuba diving in Tablerock Lake.  Chris and Gavynn came with us again and Mindy designed some very cool t-shirts.  It's my turn to plan the next one.  I need some great ideas.  This one will be tough to beat.

We all had so much fun!  Good choice, Bub!  What we didn't anticipate was how ravenous we would all be when we were finished.  Why does scuba diving make you so hungry?

While we were off scuba diving, Elmo planned her own day of fun with Riley and the boys.  They got t-shirts, too!  Dad, Aunt Ninnie, Yaya, Cal and Macy also joined them to eat pizza, pick strawberries and go to the park.  The boys had a blast.  They ate a ton of strawberries and even talked Elmo into baking them a cake.

Noah, Seth, Ri and Elmo

Papa & Noah

Seth

Seth, Papa & Noah

Silly.  After this, they picked Papa's nose.  Glad I didn't get a picture of that.

How did I not get pictures of the boys with Aunt Ninnie?  Gah!  So irritated with myself.  We love you, Aunt Ninnie!

Gavynn & Riley take Taekwondo and are doing so well. So proud of those two.  They tried out their new sparring gear while we were there.

Gav gave Noah a ride in her dune buggy...

...and Seth.

On our way home, we went to Camdenton to have lunch with my dear friend, Ramona.  It had been much too long since I last saw her.  This was the first time she met the boys!  I'm so glad we took the time to go see her and Leon.  I am beyond grateful to have this woman in my life.  She has played such an important role in who I am and where I am today.  Words cannot begin to express...

As always, we had a very busy, much too short trip to see family.  It's always tough because the list of who we want to see is very long, but time is short.  I'm sorry that we didn't get to see everyone that we wanted to...hopefully next time!

Today is Father's Day.  I hope Chris enjoyed his day because he deserves an amazing day because he is such a great dad!  We went to the Whitecaps game and had a fun-filled time.  A post about that will be coming soon...

Happy Father's Day to my Daddy!  I will always be your little girl....  Love you!

-Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment

home study degrees guide
Provided by home study guide.