Sunday, March 16, 2014

Catching Up...Again!

I'll eventually get back into a more regular blogging schedule in 2014...sooner or later.  I think our crazy cold, crazy snowy winter has had something to do with lack of blogging content.

Chris and I hadn't had special on-on-one days with the boys in a while, so we decided to remedy that last weekend.  I took Noah to Craig's Cruisers and Chris took Seth to Chuck E. Cheese and the zoo (brrrr).

Noah was very specific about what he wanted from the buffet at Craig's Cruisers!  He was a great little date.  I think he enjoyed our special time together because he was a little chatterbox.  He also took my hand and dragged me all around that place to the games he wanted to play.  It was a terrific afternoon with my little guy.

Earlier in the day, we went to the Home Show at DeVos.  We bought some Girl Scout cookies and the boys were given stickers.  I didn't even notice what sticker Noah stuck on his shirt until I was sitting across from him at lunch.

Of course his favorite was the go-karts.

He traded in the tickets he won for this perfect pair of sunglasses.

After lunch and games at Chuck E. Cheese, Chris and Seth made an impromptu trip to the snowy zoo.  Not all of the exhibits were open yet, but Seth said he had fun looking at the animals...especially the bear and mountain lion.

So much snow!


The biggest event of the week?  Noah lost a tooth!  Technically, he had a tooth pulled, but the tooth is gone!  Last time I blogged, I posted a picture of Noah's shark tooth and talked about the upcoming dental appointment we had to get the baby tooth pulled.  That appointment didn't go how we expected.  The dentist was a little concerned about the size of the permanent tooth coming in and that things might be a little crowded.  He referred us to an orthodontist, so we took our SIX YEAR OLD to an orthodontist.  I couldn't believe that we were going to one at such a young age!  Luckily, the orthodontist didn't see any reason to do any type of early intervention, so we were referred back to our dentist to get the tooth pulled.  About 3 weeks after first talking about getting his tooth pulled, it actually happened.

Noah was a champ.  He's a pretty brave kid.  When I first picked him up from school, he stood on the sidewalk of the school, crossed his arms and said 'I'm not going to get my tooth pulled and you can't make me'.  About 30 seconds later he got in the car and said 'I'll go, but I'm not going to get out!'.  As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, he jumped out of the car and went into the office.  So much for not getting out.  I was still hanging up our coats when his name was called, so he started walking back there all by himself.   He, apparently, is just a big talker.  He was given a little giggle gas and the dentist numbed his mouth and then he tried to pull his tooth.  At first yank, it slipped and it didn't come out, so he had to try again.  That made Noah a little unhappy, but he laid still and before we knew it, the tooth was out.  I had forgotten how barbaric pulling a tooth was!

He cried for a bit after that and the dentist thought that the crying might be from the gas (I still think it was because of the failed first attempt).  He explained to us that sometimes the gas is like when someone drinks...they are sometimes happy, they are sometimes sad.  My response, in typical Hesterly-inappropriate fashion, was 'So, you're telling me that my 6 year old is an angry drunk?'.  The very nice dentist didn't think I was funny.  He just looked at me like I had two heads and kept on with what he was doing.  The crying didn't last very long and then Noah was back to his chatty self saying 'I'm good!'.

The Tooth Fairy made her first visit to our house that night!  Noah was incredibly excited.  I can't believe our boys are old enough to reach this milestone.  


While not nearly as exciting as losing a tooth, we reached another milestone this week.  We took the boys to a Japanese steakhouse on two different occasions.  Both times it went horribly bad.  It's been a couple of years since we tried, but Friday night we talked them into giving it another try.  They wanted to stand against the wall for the 'big fire', but overall it was great!  They had fun and loved the food.   They even said they would go back again, which makes Chris and I happy.

Noah as Superman, Seth as Spiderman

On Saturday the boys and I went to a mother/son bowling event for their school.  The boys had fun bowling and goofing off with their friends.  The families we bowled near were very nice, so I consider the day a success.  

Noah left, Seth right.  They took off their sweaters, so their white t-shirts were super bright under the blacklights.

The boys with a couple of their buddies.

As I was going through pictures for today's post, I came across a couple from when Chris took the boys to a Western Michigan basketball game with our friends Jeff and Gibby.

Noah left, Seth right.

The main reason I decided to include this?  This picture.  It's just so funny.

One more random picture...Noah made a mask during his afterschool care and brought it home.  He put the mask on and showed it to me.  I asked him if we could maybe come up with a different way to wear the mask and he said 'I couldn't think of anything, so I just used tape.  It works fine'.  Indeed it does.

-Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment

home study degrees guide
Provided by home study guide.