Early Saturday morning I was sitting on the couch, watching the news and trying to put some food into my nervous tummy. The boys rolled out of bed and came down with HUGE smiles on their faces saying 'Mommy!' excitedly. We had been talking about the race, so I thought they were going to say something about that, but what I heard from my sweet babes was 'Mommy!!! Can we tell Brody Happy Birthday?'.
Even though the race was not the most important thing of the day, I'm going to talk about it first because I'm writing this blog!
So...25K on Saturday (hey Dad...that's 15.5 miles). I am beyond glad that I did it and beyond glad that it is over! Because of Chris' support (he really is the most amazing person ever), I was able to dedicate the time to train for this race over several months. I'm glad I put in the miles because it was hard, but worth it. Here's some photographic evidence.
This is a picture of my very fancy training plan. I slowly increased my miles starting in November, but realized in March that I needed to get serious and figure out what I needed to do for my long runs to get ready. This is what I came up with. It felt really good to mark those off each week.
The Riverbank Run has several races; 5K run, 5K walk, 10K run, and 25K run, hand cycle and wheelchair races. I think they said that there were about 20,000 participants total! Huge race, tons of energy and a lot of fun.
Minutes before the start of my race. Seth on the left, Noah on the right.
Chris and the boys were at the 10 mile mark cheering me on. I didn't get over to give them high-fives because they were on the other side of the street and it just seemed so far away. I sure was glad to see them, though.
The least disgusting picture of me running. This was after almost 10 miles and 2 miles of hills with 2 more miles of hills to go.
I hit a wall around the 13.5 mile mark, but I powered through! I finished 9 seconds over my goal time, but I'm O.K. with that!
After the race. Cold, sweaty, exhausted and thrilled.
The end of the race wasn't what Chris and I planned. The boys didn't catch me at the finish line, so I went to the spot that we said we would meet if not at the finish. They weren't there, either. After a series of interesting events that resulted in me going into a hotel and asking strangers if I could use their cell phone, we all finally found each other. Turns out Chris and the boys had an interesting morning. After they saw me at mile 10, the keys somehow got locked in the car. Chris had his phone and luckily AAA was able to come and rescue them. The boys were just excited that they got to talk to a police officer.
On to the exciting part of the day...Brody's 7th Birthday!!! We got Brody some extra special treats for his birthday and the boys were very excited to give them to him.
Notice how Noah is so delicately trying to get Brody to look at the camera? He is also looking super fly with his baseball uniform and slippers.
Seth & Brody
Noah & Brody
-Shelby
No comments:
Post a Comment